Monday, September 29, 2008

You Stood Me Up- Music reviews

I'm a long-time subscriber to Paste Magazine, who publishes awesome book, movie and most notably, music reviews. But to be honest, I give most of my attention to their monthly CD of great new independent music. Here are a few of my favorite songs from their latest, October 2008, #47.

The very first song on this latest CD caught my attention immediately. What stands out most about Benji Hughes' "You Stood Me Up" is how much it reminds me of Fountains of Wayne. Unlike FOW, this song is in the first person instead of the third, like most FOW songs, but it has that same humorous and casually detailed narrative with a simple, catchy melody. "You Stood Me Up," as you might guess, is about a poor dude who gets stood up by a woman who spends the day with some other guy instead. I am fortunate enough to have never been in this same situation. :)

"You had a date with me, on April 17th
I showed up at the Dairy Queen where we were supposed to meet.
I got there at 4:53 we were supposed to meet at 5.
I had a Butterfinger Blizzard and some fries.
When you didn't show up, I got worried that you might of had a wreck
but some friends of mine said they saw you puking off a parking deck downtown.

You stood me up, you stood me up..."

You Stood Me Up


Next, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Dar Williams on this CD. Dar Williams is an incredibly realistic and honest (and has an album aptly named, "The Honesty Room") folk singer who's musically embraced me with her stark emotional and graceful lyrics, often peppered with intriguing metaphor and even a good dose of humor. I first fell in love with Dar Wiliams' song "As Cool As I Am," a song that has helped me through a lot of tough times:
"Oh -- and that's not easy, I don't know what you saw, I want somebody who sees me,
I will not be afraid of women, I will not be afraid of women." (video )

While "It's Alright" (video) will probably not be as life changing, it's the kind of song that's just what you need when you are in those downtrodden introspective moods. It's about being forced to change, but unlike most sappy songs about change and "personal growth" her honesty and realism strike again:

"I know change is a bad thing,
breaks me down into a sorry sad thing,
not some iridescent grateful butterfly
I'll resist with defiance
Not the power of a mystic silence"


A group whose music I keep meaning to listen to more, Okkerkill River's "Lost Coastlines" has a somber, resigned melody and a metaphor that keeps sinking deeper and deeper. It's the kind of song you can pretend is about whatever you want:

"Ticket in my hand I'm thinking wish I didn't hand it in
'cause who said sailing is fine?
Leaving behind all the faces that I might
Replace if I tried on that long ride
Looking deep inside but I don't want to look so deep inside yet..."

"Packed up all of our bags, the ship's deck now sags
With the weight of our tracks as we race beneath flags black and battered
Rattling our swords in service of some fated foreign lords"

Supposedly, member, Jonathan Meiburg just left the group, possibly being an inspiration to parts of this song, but I see it as about the careful balance between finding one's calling (or love) through both independence as well as through connection with others.

(listen and read more here .)


Lastly, my favorite song on the latest Paste Magazine compilation is Sleeping in the Aviary's "Write On."

I this one's metaphors too, even if a bit wacky. Despite it's underlying theme of desperation to resist the tenacious and burdensome love for another, it has an upbeat melody and not-too-serious tone.

I'd call this band indie college garage folk rock or something similar. I love the sound and lyrical style of this group so much and I am pre-ordering their new album containing this song, "Expensive Vomit in a Cheap Hotel."

"Like a thirsty throat on a sinking boat, gonna wait until my neck goes numb. Like a wooden heart that a spark can't start, gonna tie myself to the lightening rod." (I love this last metaphor because it reminds me so much of Ulysses's being tied to the mast in order to escape the Siren's pull, something I too often feel like I have to ask people to do for me.

The bouncy chorus brings a wonderful image to me, of a person, when alone, engaging in emotionally indulgent behaviors driven by residual love he just can't shake:

"Cause I can't write you out of my dreams so I'll write your name in the window steam, it'll disappear as you depart, I just want to write you out of my heart."

To listen and buy the album.

Maybe next month I'll write about more songs. :)

No comments: