Sunday, February 3, 2008

Sinful Sunday: Pride

There are some very stupid people in this world, and I am proud to not be one of them. There, it needed to be said. And I'm not talking about someone making a dumb mistake, who are not that educated, or using faulty judgment in their life choices from time to time. I mean people who are completely unaware of the limitations of their knowledge and critical thinking, are sometimes proud of this fact, and are 100% sure that they are right.


I found something by accident this morning, and I was alternately laughing and fearing for mankind. It is a collection of quotes from various message boards and other sources allegedly from people who have allowed their religion to trump all logic and concern for truth and knowledge in its entirety. I was thinking, oh, this all just was cut and pasted from post to post and could have been totally made up along the way. But each one has a link to the original source. I realize many of these people could be trolls. I often am suspicious that some of the crazier people on my vegetarian board are trolls trying to make us look bad, but sadly, I'm sure some are for real. The real test is to see how the majority of people on that board respond. They can't all be trolls.


This list is the top 100 from Fundies Say the Darnedest Things site. They have monthly updates with new quotes, and it looks like now they also have other lists for racists and conspiracy theorists.


So if you want to laugh and shudder at the same time (perhaps I should revisit next Halloween), take a look for yourself. Here are some of my favorites:


"One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it." [emphasis added by fstdt]


"I am a bit troubled. I believe my son has a girlfriend, because she left a dirty magazine with men in it under his bed. My son is only 16 and I really don't think he's ready to date yet. What's worse is that he's sneaking some girl to his room behind my back. I need help, God! I want my son to stop being so secretive!"


"[Replying to 'as for not seeing evolution it takes several million years... incase you missed that memo...']

several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Golly, what could that huge energy source be?!